Join Desert Adventures for our 42nd year camping at the Grand Canyon! We are continuing our decades-long tradition of camping in the Mather Campground, just a 10-minute walk to the south rim. In addition to your DA family, you may see families of deer and elk walking through the campground. We welcome you to commune with nature and socialize with us.
- Thursday check-in time is at noon.
- Thursday night we’ll have a mixer so everybody gets to meet everybody.
- Friday everybody’s on their own to hike, shop, nap, or do some combination thereof.
- Saturday evening we’ll have happy hour around 5pm followed by dinner around six. We’ll provide some kind of adult beverage for happy hour and a meat or vegetable protein for dinner. We ask that people bring snacks, sides, or desserts to share (just one per carpool is sufficient).
- Sunday morning checkout time is 11:00am.
This will be a tent-only campout per park policy. If you like, you may reserve a site in Trailer Village or in one of the other loops in the Mather Campground the weekend we are camping. Parking at our two group sites is limited to three vehicles at Sage Loop Site 003 and two vehicles at Sage Loop Site 005, so carpooling is highly encouraged. Extra vehicles may be parked in the parking lot adjacent to Camper Services at the Mather Campground entrance. Although the sites cannot accommodate many vehicles, they can accommodate a lot of people: 30 on Site 3 and 20 on Site 5.
There are potable water pumps and restrooms with electricity and running water right next to our group sites. Showers, laundry facilities, and pay phones are available at Camper Services (bring quarters and flip-flops).
Market Plaza is a short walk or drive away and offers shopping and dining, as well as lodging at Yavapai Lodge. If you like, you may reserve a room at Yavapai Lodge the weekend we are camping. Market Plaza features free Wi-Fi, albeit slow and unreliable. Please note that cellular connectivity in the park can be spotty, and your campout leader(s) may not be reachable in the park.
We ask that you bring firewood (available at Market Plaza) to contribute to our campfire.
Please email us if you would like to be our campout leader this year.